Facts About Kansas City
- Kansas City, informally called “KC”, is the largest city in the state of Missouri or Kansas. It encompasses 318 square miles, with a metro area of over two million. Situated on the state line, opposite Kansas City, Kansas, and Overland Park, Kansas, Kansas City, Missouri is the anchor city of the metropolitan area. The city is well known for it’s classically “Midwestern USA” values, big city advantages without big city “attitudes”, and for it’s contributions to the musical styles of jazz and blues as well as to cuisine, such as Kansas City steaks and Kansas City BarBQ.
- Kansas City, often abbreviated “KCMO”, is officially nicknamed “The City Of Fountains”, with over 200 fountains, some of which are truly uniquely beautiful, 2nd only to the city of Rome, Italy. The city also has more boulevards than any city except Paris, France, and has been called “The Paris of the Plains”. The area is sometimes referred to as “The Heartland Of America”, as it is near both he population center of the United States and the geographic center of the 48 contiguous states.
- Kansas City’s water was recently rated the cleanest among the 50 largest cities in the United States, containing no detectable impurities.
- Kansas City experiences all 4 seasons, and lies at the confluence of the second largest river in the country, the Missouri River, and the Kansas River. Kansas City has “long” falls and springs, with most days in the fall and spring being extremely pleasant.
- Kansas City has 132 miles of spacious boulevards and parkways, 214 urban parks, 152 ball diamonds, 105 tennis courts, and an abundance of park shelters. Swope Park is one of the nation’s largest city parks, comprising 1,805 acres, more than twice as big as New York’s Central Park. Swope Park features a world class zoo, a woodland nature and wildlife rescue center, two golf courses, two lakes, Starlight Open Air Theatre, day-camp area, and numerous picnic grounds.
- Kansas City is blessed with an energetic and well diversified sports scene, including the major league Kansas City Royals baseball team, the Kansas City Chiefs football team, the Kansas City Wizards professional soccer club, the Kansas Speedway NASCAR auto racetrack, and many college and amateur sports activities within 2 hours of downtown Kansas City.
- Kansas City “Lake Life” is incredibly diversified, with large lakes within the metropolitan area such as Smithville Lake, Weatherby Lake, Lake Waukomis, Lake Lotawana, Longview Lake, and nearby huge lakes/fishing/boating/recreation/resort areas such as Lake of the Ozarks in South Central Missouri, Branson (Live Music Show Capital of the World) at the junction of Lake Taneycomo and Table Rock Lake in Southern Missouri, Truman Lake in Central Missouri, and Perry Lake in Kansas.
- Kansas City’s Educational and Cultural attractions are without equal, including The Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation, The Black Archives of Mid America, The Hallmark Visitors Center, Kansas City Museum, Kemper Museum of Contemporary Art, National Agricultural Center and Hall of Fame, National World War I Museum, University of Missouri, K State University, Kansas University, Kansas City Art Institute, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, to name just a few of the area’s rich educational and cultural attractions.
- Kansas City’s Area Art and Entertainment attractions are richly diversified, including the world famous Country Club Plaza, Crown Center, American Jazz Museum, Kansas City Symphony Orchestra, Harry S Truman Library and Museum, Kansas City Visitors and Convention Bureau, Argosy Hotel & Casino, Harrah’s Hotel & Casino, Ameristar Hotel & Casino, Isle of Capri Casino, Wolds of Fun, Oceans of Fun, Power & Light District, Sprint Center, Kansas City Symphony, Starlight Outdoor Theatre, Kansas City International Airport, Bartle Hall Convention Center, Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, Kauffman Center for the Performing Arts, Kansas City Ballet, Kansas City Repertory Theatre, The Unicorn Theatre, Barn Players Community Theatre, Heart of America Shakespeare Festival, Coterie Theatre, Quality Hill Playhouse, H&R Block City Stage Theatre, Lyric Opera of Kansas City, Kansas City Chamber Orchestra, Dwight D Eisenhower Presidential Museum and Library, Kansas City Jewish Museum, UMKC Conservatory of Music and Dance, International Center for Music, National Archives/Central Plains Region, Toy and Miniature Museum, Union Station, Kansas City Zoo, and many, many other privately owned and public venues.
The Kansas City lifestyle is a great lifestyle.
For more detailed information on any of the above attractions, click into “Area Attractions” in this web site.
- Kansas City Business Scene: Kansas City has a stable, well diversified economy, with strong elements of trucking/railroad/air transportation, communications, governmental employment (federal, state and local), agricultural, logistics and distribution, retail, service industries, manufacturing, health care, bioscience, and operating small businesses.
- Kansas City Business Incubators and support organizations are throughout the Kansas City area, including: 18th & Vine Business Incubator, Arts Incubator of Kansas city, bioscience & Technology Business Center at Ks University, Biotechnology Development Center of Grater Kansas City, Christopher S Bond Science and Technology Incubator, Enterprise Center of Johnson County, Independence Regional Ennovation Center, Lawrence Regional Technology Center, Missouri University Science Business Incubator, National Institute for Strategic Technology Acquisition & Commercialization.
- Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation of Kansas City is a private, nonpartisan foundation that works with partners to advance entrepreneurship in America.
- SCORE (Service Core Of Retired Executives) is a free advisory service available from the area Small Business Administration (SBA), offering mentoring to small business operators, and/or to folks who intend to start a business or buy a business, including mentoring in accounting, advertising, personnel management, purchasing, administrative operations, and just about any other topic that concerns the operating of a small business.
- Business Resource Organizations. The Metro Kansas City area has many organizations that are available to business owners or prospective business owners, providing leadership, networking opportunities, mentoring, information, education and guidance/advice:
Advanced Manufacturing Institute (Manhattan, KS)
Associated Industries of Missouri (Jefferson City, MO)
Blue Springs, Mo Economic Development Corporation
Business Resource Council of St Joseph, MO
Business Research & Information Development Group (Columbia, MO)
The Builder’s Association
Business Retention and Expansion Program (Topeka, KS)
Career Education Coordinators
The Central Exchange
Citywide Development Corp of Kansas City, KS
Clay County, Mo Economic Development Council
County Economic Research Institute, Inc (Overland Park, KS)
Development Assistance Center
Downtown Council of Kansas City
Economic Development Corp of Kansas City, MO
Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
Executive Service Corps of Greater Kansas City
FastTrac-Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation
First Step Clearing House (Wichita, KS)
The Foundation for the Advancement of Marketing Excellence in Entrepreneurs
Frontier Financial Partners
Full Employment Council
Gladstone, MO Economic Development
Greater Kansas City World Trade Center
Heartland Business Capital
Heartland Procurement Technical Assistance Center
Henry W Block School of Business and Public Administration
Helzberg Entrepreneurial Mentoring Program
Hispanic Economic Development Corporation
IBSA, Inc Entrepreneur Training
Independence Council For Economic Development
Initiatives Worldwide, Inc
Institute for Entrepreneurial Studies and Development (Warrensburg, MO)
International Trade Council of Greater Kansas City
ITKC Information Technology Group
JCCC Kansas Small Business Development Center
Johnson County K-State Research and Extension
Kansas Bio (Kansas Bioscience Organization)
Kansas Business Center
Kansas City Area Development Council
Kansas City Area Life Sciences Institute
Kansas City Council of Women Business Owners
Kansas City Small Business Networking Breakfast
Kansas Dept of Commerce, Trade Development Division
The Kansas Enterprise Zone Program (Topeka, KS)
Kansas Department of Commerce
Kansas Technology Enterprise Corporation
Kansas Workforce Partnership
Kearney, MO Area Development Council
KU Center for Technology Commercialization (Lawrence, KS)
KU Small Business Development Center (Lawrence, KS)
Lee’s Summit, MO Economic Development Council
Miami County, KS Economic Development
Mid America Manufacturing Technology Center
Mid America Minority Business Development Council
Mid American Regional Council
Midwest Small Business Finance
Minority Contractors Association of Greater Kansas
The Missouri Biotechnology Association (Jefferson City, MO)
Missouri Business Portal
Missouri Catalog of State Assistance programs
Missouri Dept of Economic Development (Jefferson City, MO)
Mo Dept of Economic Development Programs for Business Missouri Enterprise (Rolla, MO)
Missouri Linked Deposit Program
Missouri Procurement Technical Assistance Center
Missouri Small Business Regulatory Fairness Board
Missouri University of Science and Technology Small Business Technology Development
Missouri Women’s Council (Jefferson City, MO)
MoFAST, Missouri Federal and State Technology Partnership/Commercialization Partnership
MO-KAN Development, Inc (St Joseph, MO)
MoTIP, Missouri Technology Incentive Program
National Association of Women Business Owners, Kansas City Chapter
National Association of Women In Construction
National Federation of Independent Business
Northeast Industrial Association
Northeast Kansas Enterprise Facilitation Initiative
Office of Minority & Women Business Development
OneKC for Women
Overland Park Economic Development Council
Partnership for Community Growth and Development
POWER: Partnering Organizations With Essential Resources
Rural Missouri, Inc
Shawnee, Ks Economic Development Council
Small & Home Business Connection
Small Business Development Division of City of Kansas City, MO
Small Business Institute at Missouri Western State University (St Joseph, MO)
St Joseph Mo Small Business & Technology Development Center (St Joseph, MO)
UCM Small Business & Technology Development Center (Warrensburg, MO)
UMKC-Missouri Small Business Development & Technology Center
University of Missouri Extension, SBTDC
UMKC Entrepreneurial Legal Services Clinic
U.S. Small Business Administration
Women’s Business Center
Women’s Employment Network
For information and a no-cost consultation to discuss KC facts, KC Resources, and the many services available to business buyers, owners and sellers, please register with this web site.
Register with ABMI.net Sign Up Now
6201 College Blvd., Ste 385
Overland Park, KS 66211